05 May 2009

BONO: A True Christian


There has been a lot said about this guy, and a lot of debate between Christians about this man's approach to Christianity. But today I can confidently say, Bono has always been a true Christian. He confesses that he used to hate Christians because of their double standards but that just got him more determined to know more about who Christ was. David Ruis one of the leading worship leaders from Vineyard Music states, "that he has yet to meet someone with as much passion for God as Bono." He further states, "U2 came from the church, but at the time they started, the church didn’t know what to do with them."

Bono himself said once in an interview, "I’d join the movement, if there was one I could believe in, I would break the bread and the drink the wine if there was a church I could be received in, because I need it now."

But its just that the church for so long never accpeted him, and many more like him who were just different and looked different. It was by God's grace and plan for his life that Bono still held on to what he believed and who he believes in.


There have been so many songs of U2, where they show their desperation to work together with the church and be a part of it... but it took so long for the church to not be judgemental and accept these people with open arms. Here are some of the songs that U2 speaks openly to the church about what they feel and their passion for God.

One - You say love’s the temple, love’s the higher law, you ask me to enter, then you make me crawl, I can’t keep hanging on to what you’ve got, if all you’ve got is hurt. One love, one blood, we’ve got to carry each other.

I still haven't found what I am looking for - I have run I have crawled, I have scaled these city walls, Only to be with you, But I still haven't found.

Where the streets have no name - I want to run, I want to hide, I want to tear down the walls, That hold me inside, I want to reach out, And touch the flame, Where the streets have no name

In their biographies, they talk about how they contemplated splitting up the band because they felt like they couldn’t play their music and still be called Christians. Their passion and their talent is incredible, but what we as the church didn’t know was where to place them.

Check out this incredible interview with Bono by the Willow Creek Pastor Bill Hybels.












2 comments:

PJ said...

u2 is one of my favorite bands...but didn't know it was a christian band...
there's this one song in particular I like a lot..'walk on' I wrote a post on it once..
http://arushofthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/05/walk-on.html...

and there's this song,'sometimes you cant make it on your own' which makes me cry all the time!
Their songs are really awesome:)

Jesse Alex said...

Yeah... and guess what I stayed hardly 5 mins away from where Bono lived... he he :D